Herbert Lehman Education Fund
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Herbert Lehman Scholarship Program awards are $3,000 per year, over four years, for a total of $12,000 - provided funds are available. Scholars must remain in good academic standing and continue to meet the scholarship criteria in order to maintain eligibility. The deadline for the scholarship is April 1, 2022.
Final decisions are made by mid-July/August at which time all students will be notified of their status via email.
· U.S. Citizenship;
· Must be a graduating high school senior, a first-year student in an accredited four-year college, or a student transferring into an accredited four-year college, students beginning as a junior are not eligible;
· Demonstrated financial need - must have a combined family income of $65,000 or less;
· Record of academic achievement; and
· Demonstrated commitment to public service.
Scholarship Application Checklist – Your application must include all items listed below:
· Completed scholarship application form;
· A copy of the acceptance letter to the college you will attend;
· Two recommendation letters;
· A copy of your current school transcript (finalists will be required to submit an official transcript);
· A personal statement;
· An essay;
· A copy of your SAT and/or ACT test scores; and
· A copy of your Student Aid Report (FAFSA Form). The adjusted gross family income line of your FAFSA form must be completed showing a dollar amount. If not, a copy of your parents’ income tax return must be attached. If you are independent of your parents, provide your income tax return.
Finalists will be required to submit a recent professional photo. (As a guideline, your face should take up approximately 60% of the frame.
Frequently Asked Questions:
· When is the application deadline for the Herbert Lehman Scholarship?
Applications must be completed by April 1, 2022, 11:59 p.m. (est.)
· Is there a minimum SAT, ACT, or GPA requirement for the Herbert Lehman Scholarship?
There is no minimum test score or GPA requirement. The scholarship committee will consider each candidate’s GPA, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, financial needs, volunteer activities, and essays. No single component of an application will determine a scholarship award.
· Am I eligible for a scholarship if I am not a U.S. citizen?
No, we do not accept applications from non-U.S. citizens.
· What is the amount of the scholarship award? Is the award renewable for each year that I am in school?
Herbert Lehman Scholarships are for $3,000 per year over the course of four years, provided that funds are available, the student continues the full-time study, remains in good academic standing with his or her college or university, and fulfills all other program requirements.
· May I apply for a Herbert Lehman Scholarship if I am not attending a university in the United States?
No. Herbert Lehman Scholarships are only available to students who will be attending universities and colleges in the United States.
· How is financial need demonstrated?
Applicants must provide a copy of their FAFSA Form and have a family income of $65,000 or less. The FAFSA Form must show the dollar amount of your adjusted gross family income. If not, a copy of your parents’ tax return must be attached. If you are independent of your parents, provide a copy of your income tax return.
Note: We recommend that you only create one application to avoid problems with your submission.
Also, reach out to your recommenders early so that your recommendations will be submitted on time.
|LDF’s Scholarship Programs do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, marital status, parental status, physical disability, learning disability, political affiliation, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.|